Facts About Plastic & the Environment
About PET Plastic
- PET1 is the easiest plastic to recycle and the most recycled type of plastic.
- Commonly used for beverages like water, soda and juice.
- PET Plastic water bottles are hygienic and re-sealable making them convenient and easy to carry.
- Plastic PET is lightweight which reduces costs and carbon emissions in transportation compared to materials like glass.
- Plastic water bottles are safe as they don’t shatter and cause sharp edges when broken, like glass or aluminium.
- PET bottles are cost-effective to produce.
- More than 2.75 billion plastic water bottles are produced every year in the UAE
- Less than 6% of plastic is recycled in the UAE.
Impact of Plastic on the Environment
- Plastic takes hundreds, if not thousands of years to decompose in landfill.
- 95% of all plastic ever created is still in existence today.
- Plastic can cause major environmental damage and harm animals when not disposed of properly.
- Plastic bottles are made from oil, oil is a finite resource and will not last forever.
- 50% of camels in the UAE die from ingesting plastic.
- Less than 6% of plastic is recycled in the UAE, which means 94% of plastic goes to landfill.