The Dgrade Solution
Plastic bottles are collected from recycling plants, washed, then flaked and sorted by type and colour, they are then compressed and bailed. Once in a crushed state the recycled plastic flakes are heated until melted to produce both long and short fibres for yarn production. This yarn can be woven or knitted in the same way as any other fabric, thus helping to create a sustainable system for recycling waste back into everyday products, such as clothing, toys etc.
What about the Environmental impact?
Creating rPET resin suitable for yarn production uses 50% less energy than is needed to manufacture virgin Polyester from scratch, 55% few carbon emissions are released and 20% less water is used. The key point is that landfill is saved – CO2 emissions are saved (if burnt) & most of all – we are saving a finite resource in OIL!
Each stage of the production and manufacture of GEKO® fabrics from cradle to grave have been socially and ethically audited and environmentally certified. GEKO® recycled PET Fibre Technology has acquired the environmental green mark Certification of Taiwan – approved in Japan, U.S. Canada, Australia & E.U.
We manufacture through factories with Fair Trade policies and all are WRAP (Worldwide Responsible Accredited Production) certified so that any waste created during the production process is also recycled.
- Plastic bottles are made from oil.
- Oil is a finite resource and will not last forever!
- Plastic was invented in the 1960's as a reusable and recyclable material. It’s just that nowadays it’s cheaper to make more.
- It takes hundreds if not thousands of years for plastic to decompose in landfill
- More than 45,000 tons of plastic are thrown into the oceans every year, killing as many as 1,000,000 seabirds and 100,000 marine mammals.
- 95% of all plastic ever created is still in existence today
- More than 90% of refuse found on beaches is plastic
- 66 Billion bottles of water are consumed each year in the U.S.A. alone
- 51 billion plastic bottles go into U.S. landfills every year.
- 3 billion plastic bottles recycled is the equivalent of saving over half a million barrels of oil and eliminating 400,000 tons of harmful air emissions.